Almost always, crashes while processing are caused by your mobile device running out of memory as it attempts to generate the 3D reconstruction. As developers, we have incomplete information about your device’s memory capabilities, so there is no way to fundamentally prevent out of memory crashes without severely limiting the app’s processing capabilities.
This issue occurs more often for very large LiDAR captures. To prevent the issue generally, we recommend limiting your capture session to 30 minutes or less.
If a specific capture is failing to process, here are some steps you can take to resolve it:
- Make sure you’re on the latest version of the app.
- Free up all available memory on your device. Force-close all open apps, especially ones that could potentially be using memory (downloading data, playing audio, using location, etc).
- Choose the ‘FAST’ processing preset and attempt to process your capture.
- Go to the ‘CUSTOM’ processing section. Set the “Simplification” slider to be at 80%. These are the settings we use to process in the ‘FAST’ preset. If your capture processed successfully in step 3, you can nudge them down (reduce simplification and voxel size), and attempt to reprocess. If your capture did not process successfully in step 3, you can nudge them up.
- Tweak the CUSTOM sliders and attempt to reprocess until you can get a successful result. If the capture still fails to process (especially if you captured for under 30 minutes), please file a bug report and mention that you followed the advice in the FAQs.